Friday, November 25, 2011

Broad Match Modifier Makes Adwords Easier

I've been running AdWords campaigns for a few years and when the concept of using broad match modifier and this chart was rolled out globally, I almost cried.  I remember the sense of pure joy with an adrenaline rush only geeks who love this stuff can get.

For the first time in a long time, all of this finally made sense. This scheme makes it possible to reduce thousands of keywords within ad groups into a few without sacrificing quality score. It gives the best possible variations of usage without wasting money on broad terms that tend not to lead to quality conversions.

When interviewing firms or Adwords consultants, I always ask how they plan to structure campaigns and ad groups. The answers reveal a lot.

First, if anyone is asked to be paid on a percentage of the budget managed, then you automatically lose. Those goals are opposites. You want to spend less but get more. They want to spend more to get more.

Second, it never made any sense to take a campaign and add tens of ad groups within the campaign. After all, you only get to set the budget at the campaign level. So, if you have 10 dollars for a campaign and 5 ad groups, you can allocate a certain amount per ad group. If someone suggest building out more ad groups within the campaign, you just broke up the spend into more ad groups and having to spend for all the keywords. Now, you'll have to add more money for the campaign, and ding, ding...they make their money on the size of the account.

Use the modified broad match. It'll be your best friend and allow you to manage many more campaigns without splitting all your dollars across the plethora of keyword match options. Since it is available globally, I've used this successfully across all geographies.

AdWords Broad Match Keyword Targeting

1 comment:

  1. When I started advertising my business through Google AdWords, I had no idea how to go about it. So it was only obvious that the best thing to do was hire an Adwords Marketing agency to help me in running PPC ads for my business. After working with them for some years now, I myself have also learned much about advanced AdWords features like the broad match modifier.

    ReplyDelete